I will provide you with the material needed in order to answer ALL of the following questions in a total of at least 400 words.
1) What were the goals of California missions? How did Indigenous peoples resist during the time period of the missions? Be sure to provide specific examples.
2) How does the term “Manifest Destiny” relate to the chapter “Sea to Shining Sea” from our textbook? Be sure to provide specific examples from the textbook.
3) What was Deborah Miranda’s argument in “Lying to Children about the California Missions and the Indians” article? What stood out to you, and why?
4) How does your K-12 education relate to the experiences mentioned in Lim’s article on “Educating Elementary School Children About California Missions and Genocide”? Why might the ways missions are taught be problematic? How might this problem be resolved, specifically what does Lim advocate for in the article?
5) What stood out to you in the article “What the ‘California Dream’ Means to Indigenous Peoples”? What does the “California Dream” mean to Indigenous peoples, and what solution does Chilcote suggest?
6) Provide a quick analysis of Bob Marley’s “Buffalo Soldier” based on the history covered in this week’s materials. This analysis is open to your own interpretation and creativity! Please include lyrics and examples from our materials to build meaningful connections.
7) Lastly, since this is our very last discussion blog, please take a moment to reflect on what we’ve learned so far. What do you predict we’ll be learning in our final Module 6 and how will these materials connect to the materials we’ve already covered? What did you find to be the most important take-aways from this course? What was most interesting or personally meaningful to you, and why?