Differentiate current challenges individuals and groups face with stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
The field of social psychology has studied stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination to not only understand how one interprets such challenges, but how these issues affect groups as a whole. It is important as adult learners to study these concepts and critically analyze their often devastating impact on individuals and society. We should all be kind and empathetic, non-judging Christians even if others come from different backgrounds, cultures, are of opposite gender, or simply believe something we do not. It is not about changing ourselves, but instead having tolerance and understanding that makes us good Christians. This can only be another way we grow in every aspect of our lives.
LEARNING ACTIVITY #2: BIAS PAPER
- Read Chapter 5 of your textbook.
- Write a one to two page paper discussing stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination. Ensure that you discuss realistic conflict theory and social identity theories. Additionally, give personal reflections on these topics. Give your personal opinion, according to the information provided in these theories, about the terms relative deprivation and in-group favoritism.
To achieve maximum points for content and analysis, the following elements need to be thoroughly addressed:
- Definition of stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination and discussion of the current challenges society faces with each issue.
- Explanation of conflict theory.
- Explanation of social identity theory.
- Provide a personal reflection on the above theories as well as the terms relative deprivation and in-group favoritism.
- Provide your personal opinion about how you feel these important issues may be improved in our society today.