Part I: Stress and Health
Watch the following video, and answer the questions below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDgBlCHVsA (Links to an external site.)
1. What is stress?
2. What is the role of the sympathetic nervous system’s role in the stress response?
3. Is the physical response to stress the same in mild and more severe stress situations?
4. Describe the stress response as brought out in the video.
5. What hormones are involved in the stress response? What other functions do hormones control?
6. What neurotranxmitters are involved in the stress response?
7. what is the difference between hormones and neurotransmitters?
8. What is the effect of neurotransmitters and hormones on the immune system? What is the difference between the alpha and beta receptors on smooth muscles?
9. What is the most dangerous about chronic stress response?
Part II A
Do a Google search on Hans Selye and the General Adapatation Syndrome?
1. What is the General Adapatation Syndrome? does Selye say about chronic stress?
2. What kind of research did he do on rats, and what were his general findings?
2. What did we learn in Part I of this assignment that supports Selye’s contentions?
Part II B: Test Yourself
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm (Links to an external site.)
1. What was your score?
2. What was the meaning of your score (as reported on the site)?
3. Was your stress level score a surprise to you?
4. From what you learned about stress, what strategy do you have that will help you manage or reduce your stress level?