Discussion Board Forum Prompts
Discussion Board Forum 3: Speech Analysis
Purpose: This assignment invites you to consider how topic selection, goal and thesis planning, audience analysis, research, organization, and presentational variables can impact an audience’s response to a speech presentation. This can help you better understand and appreciate the planning process you must follow if you wish to prepare a top-notch speech for delivery to an audience.
Description: Watch President Ronald Reagan’s 1983 speech to the National Association of Evangelicals, perhaps the most explicit presidential endorsement of Christian faith in recent times. ( https://youtu.be/v7bUye1CpfE )
As you watch this presentation, prepare and post your written answers to the following speech presentation analysis questions:
- What is this speech’s topic?
- What is the speech’s thesis or main point?
- What in the speech, if anything, suggests the speaker (or his speech writers) had analyzed the audience and adapted the speech to its needs?
- Did the speaker use effective and relevant material to support the speech’s thesis?
- Was the speech effectively organized?
- Did the speaker use clear, interesting, and accurate language?
- Was the quality of the speaker’s voice (volume, pitch, tone, pauses, etc.) acceptable?
- Were the speaker’s movements and gestures meaningful and effective?
You must explain the observations and the reasoning that justify your answers to these questions. The more thoughtful, detailed, and documented your observations and explanations, the better the quality of your work.
Grading Criteria: Be sure to satisfy each of the following grading criteria:
Be sure to provide thoughtful, detailed answers to each of the 8 questions and to support your observations by citing supportive parts of the Reagan speech presentation.
You must post written replies (no fewer than 75 words each) to 3 or more of your classmates’ threads to this forum. You will not receive credit for excessively general comments that could be contrived and made in response to any reading of this type.
Posting Requirement: Post your thread to Discussion Board Forum 3 (Module/Week 8). Do so by taking the following steps:
- Sign into Blackboard and go to your course.
- Click on the Discussion Board link.
- Click on the “Forum 3 (Module 8)” link.
- Click on the “Create Thread” button.
- In the Subject box, give your message a title (e.g., Speech Analysis).
- In the Message box, enter your written response to the thread prompt.
- Click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page.
Deadlines: You must post your thread by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Tuesday of Module/Week 8. You must post a written reply to no fewer than 3 of your classmates by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Friday of the same module/week.