Case study from week two:
Hannah and Adara
Hannah, a 36-year old African American woman, moved to Riverbend City ten years ago. She loves her work as a school counselor and, although she does not have children of her own, she says that “children are my life.” The principal and teachers at Cargill Academy appreciate her hard work with the students. She often puts in long hours.
Hannah is working with Adara, a 15-year old Muslim-American. Her parents immigrated to Detroit, Michigan from Iraq in 1999. She and her siblings were born and grew up in Dearborn, a suburb of Detroit. They moved to Riverbend City when Adara was 11 years old.
Adara is feeling depressed but isn’t sure why. Lately she has been wishing she wasn’t alive. She decided to talk to Hannah.
She talks about feeling “different” from others in school. She has friends at school, with whom she spends some time outside of school; however, she is acutely aware that she is the only Muslim-American among all the people she knows. She is the only person to wear a headscarf that her parents require her to wear, following their cultural and religious traditions. She often feels other kids staring at her, and sometimes they make rude comments. She has been bullied on social media, with other kids accusing her of being a “terrorist.”
She has enjoyed her conversations with Hannah and feels better after she leaves her office. Hannah has encouraged her to talk with her parents about seeing a therapist. Adara has resisted, and says her parents will not support her seeing a therapist.
During their last visit, Adara told Hannah that she wishes she was dead. Hannah called her parents to let them know. Now Adara is angry with Hannah and feels her trust has been violated. She says, “My counselor told my mother about everything. Now I feel like I can’t trust her. Doesn’t she have to keep what I say to herself?”
Consider the individual, family, societal, cultural, and ethical issues that Hannah must think about as she interacts with Adara and her parents.
Take care that you do not allow your own biases to minimize your assessments.
Choose the entry that seems to be of greatest importance on the basis of your assessment. Be sure to reference the ADDRESSING Model in your assignment.
- Write Your Discussion Post
CULTURAL COMPETENCY AND RESEARCH ANALYSIS
This is the first component of your course project. For this assignment, you will demonstrate your ability to apply psychological principles and research findings to a situation related to culture, ethnicity, and diversity.
After completing the assignment preparation study in Week 2, write a 7-9-page paper in which you examine three main areas as they relate to the specific case you have selected:
- Theory: Application of theory to the specific case.
- Research: Understanding of research methods and application of findings.
- Cultural Competence: Knowledge and application of cultural competency skills.
- Select a minimum of two theories that are relevant to the case you chose. The theories should help explain concerns for the client, such as developmental or contextual issues. Analyze how those psychological theories point toward potential solutions for a problem.
- Of the theories you select, make sure that at least one provides a framework for understanding the cultural issues between the individuals in the case.
- Explain how these theories help us to understand the individual client or patient in the case and how they can direct the professionals in the case to a potential solution.
- Note that theory can help us understand where the individual (client or patient) is in her development. For example, psychosocial theory would help explain individual development, or ecological systems theory would help explain the impact of environmental interaction on the individual.
- Select two original research studies that help us understand the situation in the case you selected and potentially lead to interventions in the case.
- Explain the research design and methods used in the research studies. What type of research was conducted, who was studied, and how?
- Describe the researchers’ findings.
- Next, explain how the findings in the studies relate to the case you selected. How do these findings help us formulate a potential solution/intervention in the case?
- Use a model of cultural competency to explain the competencies needed for working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Apply those cultural competencies to assist the professional in the case to help resolve a particular culture-related issue.
- Construct a plan to develop your own professional cultural sensitivity. (For this section you may write in first person).
- Explain how the guidelines you developed for the professional will help guide you in your future work as a professional.
- Discuss some steps you could take to further your own growth in cultural competencies.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free from errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA format: Comply with current APA Style and Format.
- Number of resources: A minimum of five academic resources. Two of those must be original research studies. The other sources will support your basis in theory and cultural competency.
- Length of paper: 7–9 typed, double-spaced pages, in addition to the title page and references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.