Students are to complete a brief three- to four-page paper that outlines your personal and
professional beliefs that will inform your work in the field of counseling and psychotherapy.
You will see the rubric is attached at the end of the questions. The paper should be in APA style, follow formal writing practices, and utilize transitions for coherence of thought in the paper.
As you write your paper, consider the following questions:
1. Why do you view counseling as an important field today?
2. What personal or professional experiences led you to consider a career in counseling?
3. What cultural identities, values, and experiences do you think will influence your
career in counseling?
4. What counseling settings and or populations think you are interested in serving?
5. What are your thoughts about how people change?
6. What are the essential elements of psychotherapy and counseling that lead to effective
change for individuals?
7. What skills do you believe you already possess that will help you in this field?
8. What skills do you hope to gain from this course? (the course is Techniques of counseling & psychotherapy)
|Completeness of Discussion
||Comprehensive and thorough analysis of
personal and professional factors
|Personalization: Adaptation to self, addresses scholastic and career goals in a
|In addition to fully meeting expectations, paper reveals direct application of personal and professional factors related to the course and counseling skills; good application of knowledge in current work / life situations
|Organization and Flow: Clear to understand and has a consistent theme and flow.
||Paper is well organized, clear and easy to read .Concepts are integrated well and
transitions nicely. Writing is clear, concise, and well organized with excellent sentence/paragraph