Topic 1 Addiction Worksheet
Part One Directions: Provide short answers of 100-250 words each for the following questions/statements. Include at least three scholarly resources beyond the course textbook in your response and listed as a reference at the bottom of the worksheet.
- Define the following types of biological effects in the context of substance use disorder treatment.
- Select two substances from the following and describe at least two common pharmacological and physiological effect of each (100-250 words each).
- Another DSM Substance Use Disorder of your choice
- What is a process addiction? What is a substance use disorder? How are the two similar and how are they different
- How would a counselor establish a treatment relationship to work with a client with a substance use disorder or process addiction?
- Briefly explain the history of substance abuse treatment in the United States over the past 100 years. How did the early practices differ from what is being done today?
- Briefly describe the development of interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary teams in regards to the treatment of addictions.
Part Two Directions: Select one psychological and one biological theory/model from the list below and add them to the chart. Include a brief description of the model as well as the similarities and differences of the selected models.
|12-Step Model||Developmental Model|
|Family Disease||Learning Models|
|Neurobiological Model||Public Health Model|
|Behavioral Models||Disease Model|
|Healing Model||Moral Model|
|Personality Models||Stage of Change Model|
|Cognitive-Behavioral Model||Family Systems|
|Genetic Model||Multicausal Model|
|Psychodynamic Model||Subcultural Models|
|Psychological Theory/Model||Biological Theory/Model|
|Brief Description (25-50 words)
|Brief Description (25-50 words)|