Taking a family history is an important step in determining current and future health needs and education. There are many tools available to complete a comprehensive health history. The Surgeon General’s Family Health History tool is part of the larger Family Health History Initiative that encourages people to talk about and write down health issues that seem to run in the family, bringing a larger focus on this important issue. This assignment allows the learner to use the tool and become familiar with this initiative.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
Use the “My Family Health Portrait” to document your own family history.
Designate a proband for the pedigree with a disease or condition of interest.
Write a summary (750-1,000 words) of your findings. Include the following information:
- Discuss of the heredity patterns discovered.
- Evaluate the risk of transmission to other/new family members.
- Propose the feasibility of using this tool in your own practice.